Tuesday 19 May 2009

OWL WATCH


TODAY, TUESDAY, is the last day of our wonderful holiday, and whilst it is sad that the time has flown - we had a very exciting evening as a finale.
First of all however we had our usual morning walk - but not too far and just enough for me.

After breakfast though, Sue took me in the car into Pocklington market and as we did not really need to get any food shopping this time, as going home soon, she just went for some more of those yummy dark geraniums and as it was fine had a wander and got a few items off the market stalls. She bought Dusty a new cardigan, and some tomatoes for tea - the paper and then we went 'home'.

After a light lunch it was intended to have another walk but I fell asleep! and then it rained.. so we just had a small potter round later. Kept thundering around and spotting rain

However after tea it was lovely and sunny so we had a proper stroll and went down the private road past the sheep in their field -who all came to the fence and stared at me. Naturally we are always very respectful around livestock and did not go anywhere near them. There are little lambs at present and they came and stared at me too (wonder if they know I am a sheepdog??) I stared back and wandered by on my lead so they relaxed and carried on munching.

As we returned to the cottage the sky turned black and storm clouds rolled up - I did not like the look of those - even though they don't stay long - just empty the rain on us hard but briefly and roll over...


THEN the exciting bit; when we got back near Paws Clare asked Sue if she would like to sit and watch for the Owl this evening - WITH ME!!! Well I was very excited and proud to be included and could not wait until it was getting dusk. Apparently he swoops down around then and we would have to be quiet and still and watch carefully. Well with my "collie eye" that's not a problem for me.

So off we went to the house patio and sat and waited - but silly Sue glanced at me for an instant and missed his first descent - seeing him fly away only.

Second visit though we were all ready and he came over the roof and swooped down very near us - onto the prey - and circled off again.

And then a third time too!


Such a privilege. By the way, you can see photos of this tawny owl on the website called 'Dick Roberts Photos' - see link at Favourite links on this blog...


It was a very special experience

and an evening we shall not forget...

Thank you Dick and Clare
for a wonderful holiday xx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment